Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity
Community Forum - November 28, 2023
The Peoria City/County Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity will host a Community Forum on Tuesday, November 28, 2023, from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. at Neighborhood House, 1020 S. Matthew, in Peoria. All residents of Peoria County — including individuals, families and representatives of neighborhood associations, places of worship and other community organizations — are invited to participate.
This Community Forum will provide an opportunity for the public to share stories and relay concerns regarding racial justice and equity within the Commission’s eight areas of focus: Child & Youth Development, Economic Development & Jobs, Environment & Climate, Health & Human Services, Quality Housing, Information Technology, Justice, and Transportation & Mobility. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community, like all communities in our country, struggles with the legacy of slavery and prejudice. That legacy is harmful not just to people of color, but to all our community members and jeopardizes the future successes of our community. We are committed to changing the impact of that legacy.
On July 15, 2021, the City of Peoria and the County of Peoria launched the Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity (RJE). Rather than hire outside consultants, our governing bodies decided to assemble a racially diverse group of over 160 Peoria City and County residents to investigate and propose action plans on issues related to racial justice and equity.
To end racism in City and County government and to achieve racial equity and justice across our community.
Accelerate efforts to institutionalize racial justice and equity within County and City government and to advance its adoption throughout the region.
Work to Date
2023 Annual Meeting
Members of the Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity met on November 15, 2023 to discuss charter amendments and receive committee reports. View the presentation here.
2022 Annual Meeting
Commission members released a comprehensive annual report on the state of racial justice and equity in the community. View the Annual Report
Presentations to Peoria City Council and Peoria County Board
- Peoria City/County Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity co-chairs explain next steps to addressing disparities (WCBU)
- The Co-Chairs of the Peoria City/County Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity share some insights from their 30-page report (WCBU)
- Peoria report evaluates effects of systemic racism on residents (The 21st)
- Almost ten times more Black juveniles arrested than White ones, PPD data shows (25 News)
- Q&A: Mayor Ali addresses affordable housing, racial disparity, talent attraction (WCBU)
- New report reveals grim quality of life for Blacks in Peoria County (25 News)
- 'The gap is large': Joint Commission on Racial Justice and Equity issues report on disparities in Peoria County (WCBU)
- Peoria City/County Racial Justice and Equity Commission releases report (WMBD Radio)
- First report from Peoria Racial Justice Commission finds disparities (WMBD TV)
- City Council hears 'sobering' report on racial disparity in Peoria (Journal Star)
- Calls for action as panel releases data showing deep racial disparity in Peoria (WMBD Radio)
- Peoria Council working to make city attractive and equitable (WMBD TV)
- Calls for action as panel releases data showing deep racial disparity in Peoria (25 News Now)
How to Support Our Work
There are many ways to assist with our work. First, individuals are encouraged to join the commission. There are multiple working groups to serve on, each focusing on a different part of racial justice and equality in our community. Apply Here Second, simply becoming knowledgeable about our efforts and supporting our work before your elected representatives is helpful. Our website and social media will help keep you advised. Finally, promote racial equity in your job site, in local schools, and in the organizations you support.
Questions? Email the commission at email@example.com.